On 14 August 2013 10:23, Stephen Connolly <steph...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14 August 2013 09:47, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> from source control? Everything else as far as provenance goes is covered.
>> Errant content is a potential problem, but everything in a distribution
>> should come from source control which no one has access to until they have
>> a signed CLA on file.

>> > You want to compare the contents of the *-source-release.zip with
>> > something from SCM, to make nothing bad has crept into the source
>> > bundle. So you need to know where in SCM you can find it. Have I
>> > understood you correctly?
>>
>> It's vital to be able to link the files in the source release
>> archive(s) to their origin in SCM.
>>

> Simply not true. It is a nice convenience for somebody tracing the
> provenance of files in a source release, but it is by no means vital.

What other means do you suggest then?

>> The provenance of any source files the ASF releases must be clearly
>> traceable.
>>

> Being able to link the files in the source release archive(s) to their
> origin in SCM is certainly one way to make the provenance of source files
> the ASF releases easily traceable, but there is *no* foundation requirement
> for such.

Is there any other way to check provenance?

> As I understand it, we *could*, as a project, decide to abandon SCM
> entirely for some specific module - something I would be strongly against -
> and we would be within our rights to do so.
>
> All that the foundation requires is that the PMC have verified the
> provenance of the files in the source releases they vote on.

Which is not currently possible with the information provided in the
vote e-mail.

> If you feel that individual members of the PMC are voting without having
> taken their required due diligence into account then I suggest you take
> that up with those individual members.

I just want to make sure that the reviewers have the information they
need to be able to do the due diligence.
At present that is not possible from the information provided in the
vote e-mails.