What Sebb is doing is perfectly reasonable.

He's trying to assert that everything in the source ball actually comes from
source control and that no errant files have made their way into the
distribution. Right now we cannot assert that the assembly plugin has not
wandered outside the checkout and pulled something else in, or that someone
didn't accidentally put something else in the distribution. I think this
unlikely but we can't assert otherwise right now which I believe is Sebb's
point.

If we can embed the revision from which the assembly was made in the assembly
itself (and maybe the build number plugin is doing this already), then a tool
can be made to unpack the assembly, checkout the revision and assert that
everything in the source distribution comes from source control.

If we can also assert that as part of each build all the license files are
intact and headers are in place then I believe we're done with provenance.

Licenses are present, all files have valid license headers, all files present
in the source distribution come from source control, all contributions to
source control are from bonafide CLA carrying Apache committers because you
don't get access to commit until the CLA is on file.

Sebb, reasonably accurate?