Dennis, I've been using (and mostly loving) the release plugin/process for
the better part of a decade and certainly claim to understand it well. I
don't see how my knowledge of that (or Sebb's perceived lack of knowledge
of that) is in any way relevant. The release plugin means it's harder to do
something wrong, and this is good, and why I love it. However, you can,
could, and someone may, produce non-snapshot binaries on a staging server
without having used it, from arbitrary sources and/or a bug in the release
plugin could do something wrong, and given our collective faith in that
plugin, you'd likely not check unless suspicious (eg  when the assembly
plugin suddenly stopped compressing some archives).