Your poll is a special case, which was separated in the discussions. For
all cases, but especially your special case, a good solution is to do what
some other ASF project does, and vote on SCM, then release once. They build
snapshots (gasp, maven concept in use, and IIRC they don't even use maven),
deploy them somewhere temporary, review, discuss, vote, then either fix and
respin temp stuff, or release proper. This makes a HUGE amount of sense and
is what the gods of Maven have taught me since I was a little boy.
Generally good practice too. Plus, yeah, I'd argue that they are indeed
morons :-p "Maven 4 has been released get it here <url to 4.0.3>" (4.1.3 is
totally absurd...) should confuse no one except morons.

What has LTS got to do with this? Irrelevant as far as I can tell.

Deleting tags is always bad, but in Git it's downright stupid.

Fred.