That extensions are required very early on in the build and too support them
being produced in a build where they are additionally used would require
contortions in the core and would also make supporting this in the various IDEs
also very complicated.

Is what I would say.

On Jan 19, 2014, at 2:48 PM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, 19 January 2014, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 19, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Stephen Connolly <
>> stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>>
>>> There are quite a number of users who want this functionality and the
>>> corresponding ability to build a plugin from the same reactor as it is
>>> consumed in.
>>>

>> Building a plugin in the same reactor works, building a plugin in a
>> reactor that provides extensions does not work. Extensions, IMO, need to be
>> present before the build starts. It's this second use case I don't want to
>> support.
>>

> I understand the desire... I agree with the desire... It's those pesky
> users... People want to define a custom packaging *and* then use it in the
> same reactor.
>
> I would love if people would just accept that it's better to do that as a
> different reactor... But that is not how lazy users think...
>
> We should add a good explanation to our rational if we are saying WONTFIX
>

>>> Usually this is due to lazyness, ie not wanting to cut a release of a
>>> plugin/extension just to make the build... Iow the use case were somebody
>>> "would like to write a one off script, but instead does the maven way and
>>> writes a one off plugin/extension"
>>>
>>> The other use case is eg openejb/tomee who have a plugin tied to their
>>> release version and don't want to split the build into three release
>> roots
>>> (stuff that plugin depends on; the plugin; stuff that needs the plugin)
>>>
>>> I think we should allow this kind of thing with certain very strict
>> bounds,
>>> but I am happy to push back to a new model version (which would allow
>>> expressing such stricter bounds) and ok with saying wontfix if we are ok
>>> potentially alienating the users who feel they need this (could live
>> with a
>>> way to provide a workaround though)

>> an
>> contortion

>>> --
>>> Sent from my phone
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
>> No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
>> They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
>> dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
>> dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
>> goals are in doubt.
>>
>>  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
>>

> --
> Sent from my phone

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)