This is a great question and is the primary motivation behind:

To guarantee frameworks can maintain a consistent view of their tasks
(without a custom reconciliation mechanism, as is used in Aurora), we will
be implementing the Registrar to persist a small amount of state in the
Master:

I'm also planning to write a document describing how to properly implement
state reconciliation from a framework developer's perspective, once the
Registrar is released.

After discussing with other committers, it's likely that the Registrar will
be released as follows to provide the smoothest upgrade path:
  1. Initial Registrar release. This will, by default, provide the same
semantics as before. (--strict=false).
  2. Subsequent release. This will, by default, provide strict semantics.
(--strict=true).

Only when we're operating in a --strict manner can frameworks fully
reconcile state against the Master.

The design doc may shed some light here, but some things are out-of-date
(including --strict, which does not correspond to what I've described here):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MESOS/Registrar+Design+Document

I'll update the doc in the coming weeks, let me know if you have other
questions!