Thanks for writing this up!

The remote login thing is funky!

The `-Wno-deprecated-declarations` is currently very unfortunate, and
hopefully we can fix this in our build automatically soon.
I personally have been doing: `CC="ccache clang-3.7
-Wno-deprecated-declarations" CXX="ccache clang++-3.7
-Wno-deprecated-declarations"`
for now because setting `CXXFLAGS` overrides everything. For example,
`--enable-optimize` won't do anything if `CXXFLAGS` is set.

For the `apr` issues, we should be detecting whether we have a `brew`
version installed or not on OS X and use it if it's available.
The following patches make the build system `apr` similar to `subversion`,
`libevent` as well as `openssl`.

https://reviews.apache.org/r/54278/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/54279/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/54280/