Tomek I think that patch also needs to address accepting strings for
floating point fields: float, double.

IMO, to avoid confusion, we want to get as close as possible to the proto3
specified mapping, which allows string inputs for all types of numeric
fields:
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/proto3#json

This means that on the output side, we need to figure out how to transition
to using strings for 64 bit integers without breaking our existing endpoint
consumers.