On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Zhitao Li <zhitaoli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Michael Park <mp...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:32 AM, Zhitao Li <zhitaoli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Will there be a deprecation cycle for the proposed change?
> >

> > There is no deprecation cycle for the proposed change.
> >

> I take that the moment we decide this, c++ features which requires gcc >=5
> will be used?

This is correct. I would be against keeping the codebase C++11 and merely
compiling in C++14 since it'll only be a matter of time before a C++14
feature sneaks in
and we're no longer 11 compatible.

> > > Our org still uses Debian Jessie and we do not see ourselves off that
> > > before EOY.
> > >

> > This is great! Thanks for sharing. Could you please clarify what "uses"
> > mean here?
> > I'm guessing it means that the dev servers that you develop on run
> Jessie,
> > but
> > wanted to clarify.
> >

> A (big) part of our production fleet, our dev servers and our package
> release process are all using Debian Jessie.
>
> I guess we need to test out whether running Mesos built with newer version
> of gcc (also glibc) on older version of distro is safe. If so, my team will
> only have dev environment to worry about (which is at a much smaller scale
> to deal with).

Okay, it seems like you'll probably need more time to do this probably than
the Feb 21?
If so, could you -1 on the vote and we can wait till you feel comfortable
with this bump?