Github user ottobackwards commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/834

    This is why I put the templates with the parsers in 777.  Although I did
not have the templates installing from there because list discussion was tough,
mainly because talking about this in the abstract is hard.  The idea was that
in the end we would install with the parsers.  Possibly after the ambari flow.

    - we should be able to install metron without installing and configuring
any 'demo' system or parsers at all
    - we should be able to manage and install templates
    - templates are part of any parser configuration and should be managed and
deployed with the parsers ( ie. 'create an deploy an es template is on the list
of what you need to do for a production parser so it goes with the parser
workflow')
    - we shouldn't lay down default configurations for the 'demo' parsers
    - the demo system should be managed outside main code ( ie. the bro.json
files configured with the geo enrichments etc should be separate than what is
installed by default)
    - the demo system should be a separate installable option
    - all the ES/KIBANA/SOLR issues with mpack etc

---