I think it also provides customers greater control over their architecture
by giving them the flexibility to choose where/how to host their parsers.

To Justin's point about the API, my biggest concern about the RecordReader
approach is that it is not stable. We already have a similar problem in
having the TransportClient in ElasticSearch - they are prone to changing it
in minor versions with the advent of their newer REST API, which is
problematic for ensuring a stable installation.

>From my own perspective, our goal with NiFi, at least in part, should be
the ability to deploy our core parsing infrastructure, i.e.

   - pre-built parsers
   - custom java parsers
   - Stellar transforms
   - custom stellar transforms

And have the ability to configure it similarly to how we configure parsers
within Storm. Consistent with our recent parser chaining and aggregation
feature, users should be able to construct and deploy similar constructs in
NiFi. The core architectural shift would be that parser code should be
platform agnostic. We provide the plumbing in Storm, NiFi, and <Spark
Streaming?, other> and platform architects and devops teams can choose how
and where to deploy.

Best,
Mike