As an exercise, let me summarize the points of contention I've seen and lay
out the tradeoffs as I see them. That way we can prioritize what's
important to us in a NiFi implementation and better work towards a
favorable solution (basically, I want to requirements we have for an MVP).
My opinions/comments/questions are in *bold*.  Feel free (and encouraged to
disagree). Keep in mind, this stuff probably exists on a spectrum (we might
want to pick and choose what we do, and possibly even when we do it).

   - Splitting off fieldTransformations from the parser itself
      - In Nifi, we're chaining processors to do our fieldTransformations.
      This can't be particularly automatic from a definition, to the best of my
      knowledge.
      - Our configuration between NiFi and Storm differs (because NiFi is
      building Processors and Storm is just acting on the transforms).
      - *I'm mostly fine with splitting these, IMO we just need to make
      sure it's documented. The current colocation of them feels
slightly sketchy
      to me in general (it feels like it's merging pure parsing and something
      more enrichment oriented).** I also like the idea of exposing Stellar
      transformations as their own Processor.*
         - *Could anyone refresh my memory on why fieldTransformations are
         bundled with parsing directly?*
      - NiFi parser configuration
   - We can do it from ZK, but need to make it available in a manner not
      available in ZK
      - If we don't allow ZK, we can potentially have different sources of
      configs.
         - *I personally don't like this very much. I always hated having
         to hop between things in order to manage these sort of things, but I
         consider that more annoying than blocking.*
      - Specific parsers vs an aggregated parser
      - If they're all specific, it means every user who wants to implement
      a parser (even an existing one) in NiFi, they have to do
additional work to
      make it work in NiFi.
         - *I don't think it's a lot of work on a per parser basis, and we
         might be able to ease this with some clever handling of our
interfaces.
         However, I personally don't like that there's no way to just run an
         existing Metron parser in NiFi without additional
NiFi-specific work.  To
         be clear, I'd prefer to have a quick way for users to take parsers,
         including preexisting parsers, into NiFi.  I don't think this
should be the
         end solution for most parsers, but it does feel like the
minimal viable
         product solution to cover current users mostly as-is.  In my
mind, users
         should be able to take preexisting Storm parsers and be able
to run them up
         and test them in NiFi with minimal involvement, even if the
end state is to
         do a more NiFi-like implementation.*
         - *If we expand this to other platforms (e.g. Spark?), do we
         expect everything to be reimplemented every time?  Or are we
making that
         decision on a platform-by-platform basis?*
         - *I think most parsers, including our own should be optimized as
         needed for NiFi, including whatever Schema work and
versioning we want to
         do, but I don't think that needs to be done right away.
Looking through
         source, our parsers are:*
            - *Asa*
            - *Bro*
            - *CEF*
            - *CSV*
            - *Fireeye*
            - *ISE*
            - *JSON*
            - *Lancope*
            - *Logstash*
            - *Palo Alto*
            - *Snort*
            - *Sourcefire*
         - *I don't know that I want to go through and convert and test all
         of them in the first pass.*
      - Processor vs. RecordReader
      - RecordReader is the NiFi hotness.  Sounds like the interface
      actually is stable, which was really my primary concern with it
(Thanks for
      following up Otto!).
         - *RecordReaders seem like they have positive performance
         implications to them, which I'm definitely in favor of.  The Processor
         approach would work, but given the rates of flow we see, it'd
be extremely
         nice to get the RecordReader benefits.  The schema benefits in
         RecordReaders are more clear if we split fieldTransformations
from parsing
         in NiFi, but that split might be more work (although result in a
         potentially much cleaner implementation of RecordReaders).
This would mean
         we have to do at least some upgrading for every parser we
want to be able
         to run in NiFi.*
         - *How much schema versioning do we need to support as part of a
         first cut? How much of this needs to be managed by NiFi
specific features?*
      - *I'm curious on people's thoughts on if we can do some unification
      on some of our parsers against RecordReader as Simon mentioned.  If we do
      that, do we then need to start wrapping NARs around everything as part of
      our build process to be able to use this in NiFi?  Does that break Storm
      deployment at all (for either our bundled parsers or for
existing 3rd party
      jars)? Will this affect us down the line if we decide to build out other
      use cases?*
   - Parser schema
      - Should our parsers be able to define a schema (at least in the case
      of pure parsing)?  What is the overlap and set of concerns here?
      - What do we need here in terms of versioning? After all these things
      changes based on version.
      - What do we need for providing schemas for things like CSV or Grok
      or other data-based schemas?

*The summary of my view on this is basically "Ideally, I'd like a way to
get parsers working in a general case scenario in a relatively minimal way,
with the option to implement our parsers as needed with RecordReaders
(which offers several benefits, particularly for the pure parsing case)".
I think there's a lot of value for a minimal effort approach in getting a
general (if suboptimal) approach that works for everything existing.  If we
were to do that, I'd definitely still like to see at least the 2-3 of the
main in use parsers have NiFi oriented implementations (along with
supporting documentation recommending similar implementations / conversion
for existing parsers). At that point, I think my preferred approach would
be to have a general purpose Processor available (which I don't think is
much more work than the split itself), while providing a template and
examples for new parsers going forward.*