I completely agree, Mike.  Our docs are either very high level or very low
level (and possibly stale) and, worse, aren't aimed at the actors that
you've stated.
I think that the HBase project does a good job of providing coherent and
useable documentation in their "HBase Book" (see
https://hbase.apache.org/book.html).
It's not actor-specific, but it is coherent advice for the practical
practitioner of HBase (both admin and developer) and speaks with one
voice.  I think Metron's need
is a bit different, but at the minimum some coherent docs that speaks with
one voice and has a coherent pitch about what Metron is used for and what
it isn't used for
is well needed.