> Other projects, e.g. NiFi <http://apache.org/dist/nifi/>, split apart
these releases within their dist directories.

I prefer the way Nifi organizes it.  Definitely seems more logically
organized.

> If we split them apart, we can make the releases independently.  This
fixes the problem of aligning the versions (simply release the plugin
first, update full-dev, release core Metron).

Does this entail a complete separation; including a separate call-to-vote?
One vote for core Metron and a separate vote for plugin?

> Do we want try to get this separation done after the current release
cycle is over?

+1 Let's wait for the next release to hash this out.