> As a separate issue, I will also volunteer to see if I can help Tamas
find the discuss thread mentioned. It should be linked to the PR or feature
branch for reference. That may also be a gap in dev guidelines that should
be spelled out.

Just following up on this. I checked and verified we have existing
recommendations around discussion threads for new features, so no immediate
tasks to tackle there -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Development+Guidelines

"
1.1  Contributing A Code Change
If you are introducing a completely new feature or API it is a good idea to
start a discussion and get consensus on the basic design first.  Larger
changes should be discussed on the dev boards before submission.
New features and significant bug fixes should be documented in the JIRA and
appropriate architecture diagrams should be attached.  Major features may
require a vote.
Note that if the change is related to user-facing protocols / interface /
configs, etc, you need to make the corresponding change on the
documentation as well.
"

Per the new DISCUSS thread and Jira updates from Shane (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ad206bdd59594cf74560770dfdbfcde0addd120d6fa8ea73f1a92a6b@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E)
it looks like we're in good shape for referencing past discussions for this
feature and have any remaining gaps being covered.