@Mike
I have a different question: Why is this enough to consider delaying a
release in the first place for a fairly involved fix?

There was a discuss thread, where the general agreement was that we had
enough value to do a release (Over a month ago. And more things have gone
into master since then). There's a good number of fixes, and not just
trivial ones either. The general consensus here seems to be that the
management UI issue is fairly minor for a point release (after all, there's
been multiple people who think option 2 is sufficient), but becomes
important if we want to release a minor version. The question I asked
myself about this was ""Does this issue detract enough value that a release
isn't worthwhile?" and my answer was, and still is, "No, we have enough
value to do a meaningful release".

I'm fine with delaying or cancelling a release because we find issues that
are severe enough or we don't think there's enough value anymore, but to be
entirely honest, I'm absolutely shocked this issue has blown up so much.
However, if you want to have a discuss thread to reevaluate if it's
worthwhile to do a release, go for it.  The communities' calculus on the
"Does this issue detract enough value that a release isn't worthwhile?" may
be different than mine.

Having said all that, to a large extent, I think you're right. It really
doesn't matter* that much* if we release next week or the week after or
whenever. But at the same time I personally get super frustrated when I go
to use a project, find a bug, it's already known and fixed, but it just
never puts out a released version.  Every cutoff is largely arbitrary, but
I think getting our improvements and fixes out there is important. One of
the things we've done fairly well is put out releases at a fairly decent
cadence for a project this large. I really don't want to set the precedent
of just increasingly pushing out point releases for stuff like this.