Otto - Also, in reference to the Slack channel note about Ansible - the
installation/commands would not be managed by Ansible. We'd likely only use
it as needed to do very basic calls out to the install/setup scripts that
we would provide for Metron. There's probably some difference between how
this looks for our dev environment (as mentioned, Docker for the Hadoop
services) and how a user might choose to deploy and manage their hadoop
cluster. Here are Apache instructions for Bigtop, for example -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop+1.2.0
.

I absolutely hear what you're saying regarding a single zip file with NiFi.
We're actually not *that* different. I think the only material way we
deviate from that is when distributing our client jaas for Kerberos - each
node needs some basic Metron artifacts. Even so, providing a script for
running a distributed scp given a list of hostnames doesn't seem too big a
challenge. It's possible we should also consider how Debs and RPMs fit in
this mix. I think the only reason we do that currently is for integration
with Ambari. We fundamentally could bundle up the entire application in one
fell swoop as a zip and explode it out onto a node.