As far as I know there is no minimum bar of development activity to keep a
project open.  I think we would all be grateful for any investment that you
or your organization would want to make.

It also occurs to me that your observation is absolutely spot on: we have a
LOT of moving parts.
I see some deficiencies here:

   - We depend on a lot of the various hadoop ecosystem projects and they
   have to work together very precisely:
      - This makes for a system that is hard to install.
      - This also makes for a system which is hard to tune/manage
   - We have a large surface area of coverage
   - We have an installer, backend system and front-end UI, which stretches
      our developers a bit thin, especially since there isn't even interest in
      those systems

Perhaps a reconsideration of the scope and technologies that we use would
be merited?  If we were to decide to, for instance:

   - Consolidate scope: focus on a viable backend/API rather than a UI
   - Consolidate technology: reposition ourselves on top of Spark as a
   consolidated streaming/batch system
   - Make SQL our external interface: write out to parquet + the Hive
   metastore and let users pin up presto tables or hive tables as they see fit

This might reduce some of our surface area and make it more viable to get
started?

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Casey