First of all - very much looking forward to this approach.  I'm not very
familiar with management packs, but I did read some of the documentation in
the link you sent.

Not sure if this is already included in a "minimum viable product," but at
some point I think there needs to be a method of specifying proxies and/or
internal package repos.  I recently did a Metron 0.2.0 install behind a
proxy (hence METRON-409 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-409>)
and it look me a semi-lengthy amount of time to (1) find all of the
destinations I needed to request openings for in the proxy, and (2) modify
the ambari scripts to appropriately use my proxies in the correct way.

I also have a bit of a concern with upgrades and customizations in general
(Not just how it would work with mpacks).  I have not done any of this to
date, but I have rebuilt and redeployed a couple of times and I needed to
modify some of the metron code itself before build/deploy (because of my
concern with it getting overwritten on upgrade if I just did it directly on
the cluster).  I would like to see a method of putting in install-specific
files that modify or overwrite parts of the core metron stack, like changes
to znodes, parsers, etc.

Regarding not managing sensors with Ambari, I agree.  I run a large bro
cluster and it is maintained via Puppet and various other mechanisms - no
need for Ambari to bleed over in my case.

Thanks for the great work.

Jon

--

Jon