Github user mattf-horton commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/188

    -1.  Upon closer review, I find that there is no timer thread or similar
mechanism implemented in this patch.  Thus, the patch only works if there is a
steady trickle of new tuples to trigger the time comparison.  But if a burst of
tuples are enqueued, and then no more tuples happen for a long time, the queue
will languish without flushing until another tuple triggers the time
comparison, potentially much later than the desired timeout.
    @mmiklavc 's suggestion to use Tick Tuples instead is precisely the correct
answer, as it avoids the considerable complexity of implementing a (robust)
timer thread.
    Since this PR has been dormant since July, and the contributor has not
responded to queries on the Jira, I will take over the ticket, unless a more
senior member of the community wishes to do so.
    I recommend that this PR be closed without committing, and I will do the
related work in the context of METRON-322, which I am also assigning to.
Thanks.

---
with INFRA.
---