Working with the quick-dev vagrant VM recently left a lot to be desired.
All forthcoming comments are made under the assumption that this VM is
intended for development purposes.  If that is not true, I think we should
consider adding a VM for this purpose (or Docker containers?).  Here are
the issues I ran into that I think can be improved:

   - had to upgrade VirtualBox from 5.0.16 to 5.0.20
   - had to update to the latest metron/hdp-base Vagrant box
   - takes forever to spin up
   - VM is constrained for resources making it unstable
   - spent a large amount of time troubleshooting sensors (no raw messages
   in Kafka)
   - no easy way to debug topologies

Fortunately I think we can make this a much better experience without a
major effort.  Here are my ideas to do this:

   - update the prereqs for VirtualBox
   - add a check for the appropriate base box version (Jira has already
   been created
   - don't install any sensors and replace them with a data generator that
   just loops through sample data and emits to Kafka (could also be used to
   replay and troubleshoot edge cases)
   - everything in monit is off by default except for ES or other critical
   - create scripts/utilities to easily run a topology locally in an IDE
   instead of in the VM
   - improved documentation with examples of how to run and troubleshoot

Is this a worthwhile effort?  I think this would also give users an easier
path to demonstrate or tour Metron's capabilities.  Are there any other
improvements people would like to see?  Should we wait for Docker?

Ryan Merriman