One thing that I thought of that I very strenuous do not like in Nick's
proposal is that if a writer config is not specified then it is turned off
(I think; if I misunderstood let me know). In the situation where we have a
new sensor, right now if there are no index config and no enrichment
config, it still passes through to the index using defaults. In this new
scheme it would not. This changes the default semantics for the system and
I think it changes it for the worse.

I would strongly prefer a on-by-default indexing config as we have now.