Well, I like it for a couple of reasons:

   - It's explicit and clear that the writer is on or off
   - It enables people to keep their writer config in the file without
   having the writer on (so I don't have to adjust the when clause to "false"
   - It enables us to not have to execute a stellar statement for "off"
   writers.