Mike,

You wouldn't  need to necessarily download the code and host it in the
metron repo. Git sub-modules are sometimes used in cases like this. It is
more like a pointer to an external repo. Below is a short read on how we
could potentially do this with git sub-modules. I have used these in the
past. I will say sometimes it becomes a bit confusing as to what version of
the submodule is being used. It could just be me though.

http://alex.nederlof.com/blog/2013/07/08/using-git-submodules-for-maven-artifacts-not-in-central/

Thanks,