"Why refactoring and deprecating means separating version from mxnet core?
Apache Spark MLLib refactors and deprecates a lot (e.g., they deprecates
RDD API), our C API also deprecates things, remember there are a bunch of
xxxEx in c_api.h?"

Did ML lib increase their major version after deprecating RDD?

"They will. Scala API runs auto code-generation to extract Symbol method
from MXNet core. For example, users can write and compile
Symbol.NewOperator with one Scala API version, but they cannot run it with
an mxnet-core .so which does not have NewOperator / or have NewOperator
with different args."

Not sure I fully understand the scenario you're describing here.  Is this
the case where a user writes a new operator against one version of
libmxnet.so and then runs it on an older version?  In this case they'd need
to set a dependency on the current libmxnet.so ABI that they're running
against, and ensure that their jar was using that version or newer.  This
is the goal of SemVer per interface.

"By doing major version change to Scala API, we remind users 'hey, be
careful, we have something incompatible!' But then what?"
They either choose to update their package and then fix potential breaking
API changes (the likely case), or they stick with the current version.

"Users get more confused with the version mapping. And it introduces
overhead to maintain."
I'm not sure why users even need to know about the version mapping.  If I'm
only interested in the Scala package from maven, why do I care which
version of libmxnet.so I'm using?