Qing, its great that you are working on improving the Scala Examples with
documentation and tests.
Ideally, we shouldn't have any memory leaks..it erodes trust with our
users, however I understand it can take significant time and debugging
effort to resolve them. Given that these leaks already exist, may be should
call out on the documentation that this is a known issue and we will work
on it.
IMO for this case making incremental improvements to examples makes sense.

I would like to hear what others think.
-Naveen