-0
(non-binding)

If I may add some nuancing plus a personal data point as one of the users
commenting in the bug report in question:

- Performance vs. Basic functionality => I don't think high performance
use-cases and basic functionality are two obviously opposed concepts and
see no contradiction in Hagay's and Sandeep's statements.
Float16 support is feature of MXNet that provides more than twice the
performance of Float32 on supported platforms, hence the high performance
use-case. The bug is that the basic functionality of reloading a saved
float16 models is currently broken.

- This bug vs Other bugs => Contrary the vast majority of the 140 open bugs
that are mentioned above, I would put to Sandeep's credit that this one bug
has a PR open that provides a fix for it. This would make it a better
candidate to get included in this release than a bug that has no fix ready
for it.

- Personal datapoint: I recently did some experimentation with float16 [1]
and actually coincidentally just published a video on optimizing
performance for Gluon. Float16 conversion is one of the most, if not the
most effective way to get performance out of MXNet [2]. I believe there is
a lot of value in publicizing more its use and hence making sure at least
the basic support for normal use-cases is present.

Of course this needs to be balanced with the overhead of preparing a new
release candidate once the fixed is reviewed and merged, which seems to be
a lengthy and complex process in its own right, and the delay with
providing the other features present in 1.3 for users that are not running
off the nightly builds.

All the best,

Thomas

[1] https://github.com/ThomasDelteil/PerformanceTricksMXNetGluon