well, in case of MXNet, it's mixed with MD and RST.
The docs under dir `docs/` is written in MD.
(MD is supported via sphinx plugin.)

For the function docstring in Python, it's written in RST.
The docstring will be rendered via a sphinx feature -- "autodoc".
You can check this as an example:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/docs/api/python/autograd/autograd.md#api-reference

Iblis Lin
林峻頤