An update on this topic, Sheng just merged the refinements to the
feature detection so it's now a single API call. (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13964 ). Thank you
Sheng for the reviews.

Please use this functionality to check for capabilities of MXNet at
runtime such as Cuda, OpenCV etc. This can simplify tests and
automation in several places in the code.

Lin Iblis is already preparing Julia support:

This is a PR that adds documentation on the feature and explains how
to use it from Python:

Thanks.