When including the OMP fixes in 1.6, Chris's fix for a race condition should be
included as well. So it's 3 PRs:

While all of these don't affect the binary Python builds that will be
distributed for 1.6 release, they do affect any users building the 1.6 release
from source with cmake. So it's beneficial to backport the 3 PRs.