I personally like the idea of opt-in more than opt-out:
 - ultimately PR author wants the PR to be merged so they (or committer
reviewing the PR) will trigger the CI
 - if it is easy to trigger the PR via the bot command then the amount of work
per PR should be less than with opt-out (since most of the commits should then
be marked as [skip ci] or something similar

+1 to the bot making a comment on each new PR with its commands (and also
explaining, or at least giving links to the general PR process so new PR
authors are not lost). Maybe we could make the bot recognize if the PR author
is new or existing contributor and offer advice based on that?

Thanks
Przemek