Personally, considering there's always backward compatibility issues anyway,
I wouldn't mind seeing some new ones if it was to allow JSF to be much
faster, easier to use and more extensible. Like standardizing FacesBean for
instance. If done correctly, it would give a decent speed boost, allow
easier and more intelligent state saving as well as many other goodies. I'd
really like to see a way to extends the Lifecycle more easily as well, maybe
implying standardization of the Phase classes. Maybe adding new phases as
well like register resources occurring before render to push all
dependencies in a rendering context and thus allowing all script references
to be rendered in the head element thus respecting w3c. A coherence
validation phase as well as a mean to execute a Callback on the whole tree
(to implement custom phases for example) wouldn't be unwelcome either.
Anyway, we'll see that in due time.

Regards,

~ Simon