On August 30, 2016 at 10:51:47 AM, marko kiiskila
(ma...@runtime.io<mailto:ma...@runtime.io>) wrote:

Hi Mathew,

> On Aug 29, 2016, at 5:02 PM, Mathew Calmer
> <mcal...@exploramednc7.com><mailto:mcal...@exploramednc7.com%3E> wrote:
>
> It’s implied but not made explicit that hal_watchdog_init sets up a
> re-occuring watchdog, not a one time use one (who wants a one time use
> watchdog….). This should be made explicit though.

right. I can change the wording in the comment. That was indeed what I had in
mind.

> Also, it would be nice if the watchdog module could tell you if a recent
> reset was caused by the watchdog. I could imagine this functionality being in
> the startup module instead however.

That is absolutely necessary. I initially thought we’d have another API call in
hal/hal_system.h which would
return reboot reason. And that would include HAL watchdog as one possible cause.
If we end up having driver interface for watchdogs, then I’d include a call in
there which would tell if
that watchdog was the cause of the restart.

What I’m hoping to do is to have a way of pre-empting the hardware watchdog by
having a dedicated
timer interrupt (when available), that would fire just before watchdog resets
the system. The benefit of
this would be that it would be possible to create a coredump of the system
state for later analysis.
When system is wedged bad enough, this might not run to completion. But in most
cases, it would
help in debugging spurious (and not so spurious) watchdog events.

Mark all your responses seem well designed and thought out.  Thanks.