No, you aren't missing anything - we should have added a new pointer for
master.  Thanks for catching this!

For reference, here is the current apache-mynewt-core repository.yml
file:

     repo.name: apache-mynewt-core
     repo.versions:
         "0.0.0": "develop"
         "0.7.9": "mynewt_0_8_0_b2_tag"
         "0.8.0": "mynewt_0_8_0_tag"
         "0.9.0": "mynewt_0_9_0_tag"
         "0-latest": "0.9.0"
         "0-dev": "0.0.0"
         "0.8-latest": "0.8.0"
         "0.9-latest": "0.9.0"

I can't think of a new pointer name for master.  Since this is just a
temporary change, I'm thinking we should change 0-dev to point to
master.  0.0.0 would still point to develop.

0-dev seems to match the intent based on the comments here, and seems like a good match to me.

I did try pointing to "master" with a new entry but got the error below, but perhaps it is looking for a tag not a branch name:

   $ newt upgrade
   Error: Unknown stability (master) in version 0-master

I simply added '"0-master": "master"' as a quick test before deleting the project.state file and running the upgrade command above.

K.