Hey, this sounds like a really cool project so just wanted to chime in. As
a preface, I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're going for
with this app so correct me if I'm wrong (I'm also a bit rusty).

Here are my suggestions:

Any MyNewt device that has "nimble" in its name will be seen as a valid
> MyNewt device -- we can change this, but I based this off of the bleprph
> tutorial code.

If the new service will only ever run on mynewt then simply the existence
of said service should be enough to 'validate' the device as being mynewt.

>    - Each sensor should publish 2 UUIDs as follows:
>

>    - UUID 0x2Axx is considered a 'configuration UUID', should be
>    readable, and should return a String containing the name of the sensor as
>    you would like it to be displayed in the app
>

>    - UUID 0x4Axx is considered a 'data UUID'  and should be subscribable
>    and subsequently updated with the sensor readings associated with its
>    0x2Axx config UUID

In general, services should have fixed characteristics with fixed UUIDs. We
should not be dynamically creating characteristics inside a service. This
is because (at least in the case of Android) the mobile device caches the
service and characteristic information, including the number of
characteristics and all UUIDs so that it does not need to re-discover the
service (noticeably slower than connecting to the cached service). For
example, if my Android device first discovers the service with 1 sensor
(i.e two characteristics), I will only ever see the service having two
characteristics with the initial UUIDs even If I have added four more and
changed the UUIDs for all characteristics.

Therefore, I suggest making a service with a single characteristic, either
READ or NOTIFY, with a unique 128-bit UUID, that either stores (in the case
of READ) or publishes (in the case of NOTIFY) a list of "sensor" structures
which hold the sensor name and value. From there the mobile device can
display the list accordingly.

Again take everything I just said with a grain of salt, I haven't used
MyNewt in a number of months.

Finally, great idea for a project. This would be very useful for new
developers as a tool and a reference point for other applications.

Brian Giori