> On Dec 1, 2016, at 4:00 PM, Kevin Townsend <ke...@adafruit.com> wrote:
>
> On 01/12/16 21:35, David G. Simmons wrote:
>

>> Rather than go through every Bluetooth device within range, connect to it,
>> and see if it's offering the right service, I simply check the name of the
>> device and, if it's not a mynewt device, move on. This is faster than
>> connecting to each device.
>>
> Normally you would include a specific service UUID in the advertising packet
> to solve this problem, and when you collect the advertising data you can
> determine if the service you care about is present, which might be less
> arbitrary than relying on a device name? 128-bit UUIDs do cause a problem,
> but you can still fit one in the main adv. packet, or you can optionally use
> the scan response for a second payload.
>
> Just a suggestion about a fairly standard way to solve this problem without
> having to connect to every device in range. :)

True, that is the 'normal' way, but it turns out that almost no one actually
does it in practice. At least, looking through the devices in my environment,
not a single one advertises any services as part of its advertisement data.

I think that, this being a demo app, and not being a real production app, I'm
inclined to leave it as is and just check the name for now. Unless there are
strenuous objections.

I'm much more interested in spending time getting sensors attached to MyNewt
than working on the iOS app. So, if anyone has any words of wisdom on *that*
front, I'm all ears!

dg
--
David G. Simmons
(919) 534-5099

There are only 2 hard things in computer science: Cache invalidation, naming
things, and off-by-one errors.