Hello Clytie,

Clytie Siddall a écrit :

>> What do you think?
>
> It's a good NLP introduction, Charles. I think I sort of fell through
> the cracks, taking over an established NLP level 2 project, but having
> nobody left to tell me what to do.

right. And besides it was geared towards you but to new NLP leads.

> If it happened to me, it might happen to others. So I suggest making a
> general l10n page similar to yours, based at l10n.openoffice.org but
> also linked from your page, which summarizes the steps needed to
> participate in a language project.

Indeed. But it is not up to me to do that. Perhaps Rafaella would be
interested in drafting a similar page as
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/NLC) but for L10N?

> The reason I stress "l10n" is that translators entering the OOo project,
> if they have worked in other projects, are familiar with "l10n" and will
> be looking for "i18n" or "l10n". "NLP" at that stage won't mean anything
> to them. The l10n page can introduce the OOo terminology.
>
> We do need an intro page which provides the type of information other
> translators are used to, if we want to attract them. If we make it clear
> that _every_ translator has to sign the JCA, for example, and join
> certain key lists and read key information, that will help.
>
> Then we need to extend your page, with one that shows the steps for
> achieving a released translation.
>
> The QA page, Release Action List for QA [1], is good, but how is a
> translator supposed to find it? If we link to it from l10n and NLP,
> we're making more effective use of our existing information.

Yes, now it's all about connection:-) . I'll link some these pages to
the NLC wiki. Perhaps some stuff on the QA and L10N pages could be
necessary as well.

> See the GNOME Translation Project wiki page [2], a very basic page which
> yet includes most things a new translator or language-team lead needs to
> know. We send every new translator there: it saves a lot of repeated
> explanation.

Ah, I beg to differ here. I browsed their site. Not only is it fairly
slow to load, but I just don't find it clearer than the one of OOo. Of
course it looks different and structures are different as well, but that
really is not more understandable, at least to me....

> Because the OpenOffice.org project is so large and diffuse, we need to
> have even more effective overall information processes than single
> projects, to pull the whole together, and give each part the access and
> abilities it needs. :)

+1...

Charles.