On 11/7/19 3:06 PM, stevenhrosenb...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sat, 2019-11-02 at 11:37 -0700, Laszlo Kishalmi wrote:
The maintenance burden is probably too high especially compared to
the
alternative ways (installes, flatpack, snap). Having it in the repo
is
just another source of confusion.
I just installed Netbeans 11.2 on Debian with a Flatpak from Flathub:

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.apache.netbeans

While the process took a little long to finish, the end result was a
perfectly working version of NetBeans 11.2 that found my Netbeans
projects automatically.

This is a quick and easy way to get an up-to-date Netbeans on most
Linux distros, even something as old as Debian Stable, which I am
using.
Thank you for the flatpak people updating NetBeans so quickly.
That said, I would still like to see Netbeans packaged for Debian.
Hopefully we can get it in the next stable release -- and also
hopefully Ubuntu will update its version.

As of we have Flatpak and Snapcraft distribution, the real question is does it worth to maintain the Debian package. As the package maintainer explained, Debian has its policies which needs to be met. Unless we replace it with a script which just downloads the binaries and unpacks it somewhere (which pretty much Flatpak is doing under the hood), I see no reason to continue packaging the full IDE on Debian, while we have more reliable options.

The Fedora power-user world is MAD about Fedora Silverblue (
https://silverblue.fedoraproject.org/) and using Flatpaks for
applications, and if it works as well as it does in Debian, so much the
better.

Thanks to whoever put this Flatpak together (it is credited to Flathub
maintainers).