On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 13:01, Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:
> Where is this documented? Shouldn't it be in the vote email?

Probably.  The differences are really minor, but it's the second time
something has come up about it.  If you want to replicate the binary
zip build from the source, which we probably do for voting, then yes
we probably should consider this in the voting emails.  Running from
nbbuild/netbeans in particular will not ask to install JavaFX at all
in some workflows (because it's already there), which would be a
blocker if the binary zip behaved similarly.  And in other workflows
it's obviously started suggesting the wrong architecture. :-)

> From apache.netbeans.org, you can click "installed" (in the "Cross
> Platform" box) and click "Find out more" under "Daily builds and
> building from source", but the "For details, go here:" link says to
> build using just "ant".

Which page?  This page does, although could probably be improved -

https://netbeans.apache.org/download/dev/index.html

> A Google search brought me to here:
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/README.md
> (which also doesn't say "ant build").

Yes, maybe should mention there.  Or we change the default ant task
back to build.  The key thing is that the contents of nbbuild/netbeans
are not exactly the same as the binary artefact we distribute, and
that may trip people up.