Hi All,

I'm going to get a bit ratty about these exchanges over svg icons. I did send in an email indicating that I was looking at the problem. No response from anyone!

Yet, there is a continuous drivel of discussion about this topic and not many people have got the point.

THIS IS NOT SIMPLY A MATTER OF CONVERTING EXISTING GIF AND PNG FILES TO SVG. IT WON"T WORK!!!!

I have spent nearly 50 hours this week looking at the problem. In my opinion the whole lot needs to be redrawn.

We need a different approach to the icons, they should be held in a single place. At the moment they are littered throughout the code like discarded toffee wrappers.

They are inconsistently named.

Inconsistently drawn. There are multiple different versions of the same thing.

Many have no real relationship with what they are trying to represent.

There is more... You can't just replace the gifs and pngs with svgs because the code won't handle them I suspect quite a lot of rewriting will be required. But, I haven't got far enough in my investigation to be sure. SVG files were originally developed to use in websites and not in stand-alone apps.

Other problems are the tools all graphic design apps output the svgs slightly different but they can also tune them for a specific purpose, so their production needs to be done with great care.

We need to create a coherent and consistent set of icons which will improve the visual appearance of NetBeans and enhance the user experience.

This will be NO SIMPLE or QUICK task.

In my view the earliest we should aim for is release 13.0. Any earlier and everything will be rushed and unsatisfactory. Don't forget the current set of icons has been around for a while can stay for a few more months without a real problem.

I could say more but I'm tired.

Please respond to this email.

Even if you don't I will continue for my personal satisfaction.

Regards to all.

Jeremy

P.S., Stay Home, Stay Safe bu, above all Stay Healthy