Am 08.03.2021 um 11:33 schrieb Jens Hofschröer:
Hi

Am 07.03.2021 um 18:49 schrieb Eric Bresie:
I’ve seen a few threads which seems to indicate the way forward is to have
the help materials to be translated into some common format (i.e. either
html, asciidoc, docwiki) and then render either in a internal/external web
view or have some new component to render the context as applicable.  To
minimize the work on updating help, I believe the hope was these would be
basically backwards compatible to reduce the need for too much translation.

So all that said, is anyone actively developing an Alternative Help?
>> Or is the way forward to create help in some specific non-JavaHelp way and
 > any dependencies on Java-Help replace by something else?

May be I can extract the more generic part an open source it, but I can not say in which time frame due to my daily work.

Here is an eary version: https://github.com/nigjo/nb-help

The default implementation just sends the JavaHelp page to the local Browser. No navigation like in JavaHelp itself. It is possible to reuse this in an RCP and the implementations can be replaced by own "renderers". I updated our own help system to use this module, so this might be updated in the future.

There are currently not that many JavaDocs, but most is done via services. Also there are no security checks for the output, so be aware and use it only in an trusted environment.

Jens

--
http://blog.nigjo.de/netbeans/