De : Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com>
Envoyé : jeudi 5 janvier 2023 09:01
À : dev@netbeans.apache.org; Laszlo Kishalmi <lkisha...@apache.org>
Objet : Re: [DISCUSSION] DevOps Cluster?

sounds awesome,

comments inline.

On 04.01.23 16:48, Laszlo Kishalmi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As many of you know, I'm a DevOps Engineer by trade (whatever that
> means). I use NetBeans daily, however beside supporting Text editing,
> terminal and favorites to organize my work. Text editing is mostly
> Terraform and sometimes YAML.
>
> One day, I spent good time, when I edited code in a long comment
> block, trying to troubleshoot why my changes were not applied. That
> would be obvious if I had basic syntax highlight for Terraform.
>
> I wanted to create a syntax highlight module for Terraform. I checked
> the available HCL grammars written in Java, I was not convinced
> enough. That lead to ANTLR support in NB16.
>
> So, I have an ambitious plan creating a set of plugins which actually
> would help my work:
>
>  - Support for Helm Charts: That would mean Helm Charts would open as
> NetBeans Projects, main goal would be providing code completion in the
> Yaml templates.
>
>  - Editor Support for Terraform files: syntax highlight, code
> templates
>
>  - Terraform Project Support: Terraform files to be parsed, and
> provide code completion on the parsed data.
>
>  - Go Lang Support: Well, this is not to express my love for GoLang
> (as there are none of that), but Terraform resource/datasource
> metadata can be extracted from the original source code. I just need a
> parser.
>
> What I have so far:
>
>  - Initial code for Go. (ANTLR based Lexer/Parser, basic Syntax
> Highlight)
>
>  - Initial code for Terraform (ANTLR based Lexer/Parser, basic Syntax
> Highlight, Code Templates)
>
>  - Some code for Helm project support, that does not provide anything
> useful in its current state.
>
>  - A General DevOps project type, I plan to use for Helm and Terraform

long ago I wrote a "generic project" type which simply put a folder into the
project tree (and automatically removed anything in .gitignore).
This sounds like something similar.

> These kind of modules do not fit into our existing clusters, so I'd
> propose to create a devops cluster.

i mean it could be also put into the ide cluster next to docker etc. No?

> I'm not sure what should be the development model for this, as there
> would be half baked modules for a while, so going right into master
> may not be feasible as some implementations would be arching over a
> few NB releases. Though I wish to file multiple PR-s gradually, not
> just one big bang.
>
> I'm thinking about the following options:
>
>  - Create a devops cluster in a devops branch in the main repo, create
> PR-s agains that branch, merge to master when it's solid.
>
>  - Create a devops cluster in master branch, create PR-s as usual, do
> not include/mark devops cluster as experimental in the binaries.
>

> Opinions?

I personally like the second option a bit more since it would allow to
incrementally deliver experimental modules.

best regards,

michael