Hi, all,

This e-mail is to solicit possible comments/opinions to the approach ... and to get some help as I don't seem to have enough info about the launcher release process :)

I'd like to add a small enhancements to the binary launchers, as a follow-up to https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5350 that somehow has to land in the master and future netbeans releases.

I would like to add --add-clusters commandline option with a path-list of cluster based directories as a parameter, that allows to add additional code to the NB IDE (vsnetbeans server) runtime temporarily, without changing the configuration files. The option would be *additive* with contents of the current netbeans_extra_clusters config file value and netbeans.conf configuration file.

Reasons for the change:
Currently NB launchers read netbeans.clusters (or app.clusters) and netbeans.conf files for list of clusters in NB installation or possible other clusters respectively. But both files are static. In the "vsnetbeans" headless LSP server case, the NB process is started in the background, and should respect the current _runtime_ environment of the LSP client. Specifically in vscode, the extensions can be enabled/disabled per workspace, and there can be multiple NetBeans servers running for different workspace configurations. But the extension's code - that is configuration files like netbeans.clusters and netbeans.conf - remain on a shared location. A command-line argument allows the wrapper (initiating client) to launch NB process and pass apropriate requirements to it.

An alternative would be, for example, a system property, as in the remporary fix (https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5350). We discussed this approach with Dusan Balek and decided that a commandline parameter would be more appropriate.

Now the questions come:

Q1: is there a strong opinion AGAINST using commandline parameter - and to use rather a system property (or other technique) ? Please elaborate.

Q2: what's the release process for the binary launchers (since they need to be published to maven central) ? Q3: what is the versioning scheme (launchers released in Nov 2022 are versioned 12.5) for the launchers artifact ?

Q4: are there other pending issues that could be addressed in the new launcher release ? I've searched GH issues and didn't found much.

Thanks,
-Svata