I've closed every window in NB until the problem disappeared and the huge resource claim is caused by any of the treebased windows.

The project group contains 43 POMs. Smaller project groups, cause much less resource claims.

Other L&F like FlatLaf don't have this issue at all.

I've looked around in de NB sources and could not find any Metal specific trickery.

That leads me to believe the Metal L&F is causing this. So no bugs to fix in NetBeans.

Thanks for the engagement, and thinking with me.

Gr. Simon