On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Emilian Bold <emilian.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pe 21 sept. 2017, la 09:51, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org> a
> scris:
>> ...Code produced by the ASF must use the Apache License, so that's not an
>> option here...
> ...But it's a bit silly no? Any new project based on an Apache sample would
> have to post a notice about the Apache
> license and include a copy of the license....

To keep things simple, the ASF is often reluctant to handle special
cases - you probably know that foundation has to oversee about 300
projects on a relatively small budget [1] - currently less than $5K
per project per year.

So we do require some consistency to make things easier. The Apache
License is one of those invariants.

Also, if our sample code turns into the next Google, we want to be
credited for that - it's the only thing we'd get ;-)

-Bertrand

[1]
https://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2017/board_minutes_2017_04_19.txt
- "Approve the 2018 FY ASF Budget"