I don't know that I can be much help, but the CVS client started as a
standalone project when the sources were in CVS hosted by CollabNet - it
was a github-like setup where everything was under separate source control.

I don't know what year it was that we switched to self hosting with
Mercurial, and did a huge source reorg into one repo led by Jesse, but it
could have been '07. History was preserved for major components, but it may
not have been for something like this that was a small standalone library.
And anything that for moved in CVS of course lost its history.

There used to be archives of all the CVS repos from pre-Mercurial times. No
idea if they still exist or where, but they might be out there. Perhaps
Geertjan knows?

-Tim