Here is my user comment.

My colleagues at OracleLabs integrated Eclipse formatter into our continuous
build. As far as I know it is the only formatter that works in headless mode
and is sort of standardized and a bit stable.

As it is annoying to always reformat from command line,  I integrated Benny's
excellent formatter
http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/70382/eclipse-java-code-formatter-eclipse-neon-4-6-1a
 into our NetBeans projects.

Rather than discussing the actual conventions, make sure the IDE can read and
apply settings from Eclipse easily and exactly.

My 2 Kč.
-jt