"All I'm saying is that with the last N years of unprecedented attention
the web technologies have leaped light years ahead of everything else in
terms of basic UI."

As far as I can tell, that is a a false statement.  Web UIs are still
severely behind for complex layout and even something as simple as a
table.  I have yet to see a HTML table that can scroll content independent
of headers and keep the headers aligned to the columns, without massive
ugly hacks.  It should be trivial.  It is not. That is with all that
developer attention.   That's ignoring things like choosing which columns
to show, letting the user drag column headers to arrange them how they
want, etc. When you can't even render a simple table, all the extras, like
popup ballon notifications (which are easy to add to Swing/JavaFX) don't
make up for it.

Scott