On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Antonio <anto...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> Some comments below.
>
> On 10/04/18 10:12, Neil C Smith wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 at 06:30 Antonio <anto...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>>
>> Are we talking about the catalog xml file here? There's no need to host
>>> it on the website. A simple .htaccess file can redirect it to the mirror
>>> system (or elsewhere).
>>>

>> No need, no.  Still, I quite like the idea of having the catalog under
>> version control rather than via redirect.  Of course, it could still be a
>> separate repo and subdomain if it proves a problem.
>>

> One thing I learned about the Apache mirror system is that it only keeps
> the most "current binaries". Older binaries must be moved to the "archive"
> area. That's the ASF policy about the mirror system, AFAIK.
>
> As an example, the mirror system only keeps Apache Ant versions 1.9 (the
> previous version) through 1.10 (the current version), see for instance
> http://apache.uvigo.es/ant/binaries/
>
> Older Apache Ant releases are kept at the archive at
> https://archive.apache.org/dist/ant/binaries/
>
> This means that the URLs in the catalog file will have to change, pointing
> to the mirror system when "fresh" and then pointing to the archive area as
> time passes by.

The module locations in the catalog may be relative, so we don't
necessarily need to change it, it depends how we do the catalog. The good
thing on the redirects is that we can change the redirect from mirrors to
archive.

FWIW, today morning I made a prototype that adds proper
LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER to NBMs, task.jar and license header to the
catalog.

One open issue is what to do with (third-party) OSGi bundles - these are
not currently wrapped into NBMs, and it is unclear to me if we can release
them as ordinary jars (given these are "upstream" jars which don't have
LICENSE, etc.)

Jan