In a pinch, you can always use the Maven antrun plugin, overriding the run
target to build all the NBMs and unpack them into some directory
*$YOUR_CLUSTER* - which can be anywhere on your disk you want.  Then, using
a *copy* of NetBeans, not the IDE you're running, or strange things will
happen, add $YOUR_CLUSTER to the list in netbeans.conf's
netbeans_extracluster variable;  in ~/.m2/settings.xml set
netbeans.installation to the copy you're using.  Then just launch
$NB_COPY/bin/netbeans.  Ain't pretty, but ought to work, and is a little
closer to what the Ant suite run task does.

Basically, if you're developing modules to integrate into the IDE, the
workflow is a little smoother using Ant once you get beyond developing
single modules.  The Maven stuff - and suites - make some tacit assumptions
that you're building a platform application, and in the case of Maven, that
you want to work against a known version of the platform/IDE available from
a Maven repo.

-Tim